Rick and Paul Saunders, brothers from Florence, South Carolina, along with Dale Porter had been in the banking business for nearly two decades. The three shared a strong dedication to building trust and forming lasting relationships with their customers. Simply put, the Saunders brothers and Porter were known in the area for being highly trustworthy, dependable bankers. The kind of people you could ALWAYS rely on. Throughout their banking careers, they had seen a lot. They saw clearly how mergers, acquisitions, and the high turnover in banking negatively affected consumers.
They saw a need for a bank that was designed and operated with the community in mind. One with strong values, and an even stronger team of associates. They saw a need to create a bank that could become a rock in the community, based on trust and relationships; one that could make a real difference in the lives of its customers. They saw a need for a better bank. So, in 1999, First Reliance Bank was born.
With the help of a core group of very dedicated people and a lot of elbow grease, Rick, Paul and Dale worked hard to shape the bank – never straying from their original vision. Today, First Reliance Bank is ranked in the top 20 banks in South Carolina based on asset size. The bank serves the Florence, Lexington/Columbia and Charleston markets of South Carolina. The bank has been recognized for its success, including being named to the Dave Thomas Foundation’s List of “Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces” and the only company ever to be named to The Top 25 Fastest Growing Companies in South Carolina four times running. The bank has also been recognized numerous times as one of the Best Places to Work in South Carolina. Most importantly, within a short decade, First Reliance Bank has truly become a better bank – proving that There’s More to Banking than Money.®
Accomplishments That Speak For Themselves
First Reliance Bank enjoys many distinctions including:
- 85% of customers feel First Reliance Bank is committed to offering a better customer experience.
- 81% of customers would refer a family member or friend.
- Recipient of a Banky Award from the Institute of Extraordinary Banking (2016)
- The only company named to The Top 25 Fastest Growing Companies TM list in South Carolina for four years.
- Added to the Palmetto 25, a list of South Carolina’s largest publicly held companies (2009).
- The only business Ranked as One of the Best Places to Work in South Carolina for eleven consecutive years.
- Named Lender of the Year by the SC State Housing Authority (2009).
- Named Best Adoption-Friendly Workplace by the Dave Thomas Foundation for eight consecutive years.