We've come a long way!
Since our opening, First Reliance Bank has had a clear vision to become the largest and most profitable bank in South Carolina, while making the lives of our customers better. Here are just a few of the benchmarks we've set along the way.
Click on any year to learn more about our history.
- 2021-10-05 - Named Best Adoption Friendly Workplace by the Dave Thomas Foundation For Adoption
- 2021-09-06 - First Reliance Corporate Center Opens in Mt. Pleasant
- 2021-06-28 - Best of the Pee Dee for Financial Institution and Best of the Pee Dee Mortgage Company
- 2021-06-11 - Named Best Places To Work in South Carolina for the 16th consecutive year
- 2021-01-18 - Columbia Main opens as Branch Office
- 2020-10-23 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation For Adoption's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces for the 11th Year
- 2020-08-28 - Lake Norman Loan Production Office expands into a full service branch.
- 2020-08-03 - Proud to be voted Best Financial Institution in the Pee Dee
- 2020-07-17 - Best Places To Work in SC 15th Consecutive Year
- 2020-06-24 - First Reliance Bank is proud to announce a partnership with MUSC Health - Florence Division, in conjunction with MUSC's Florence Office of External Affairs, to donate 26 Apple iPads to its medical centers.
- 2020-06-15 - Winston-Salem opens newest Branch on 536 S. Stratford Rd replacing existing branch on Trenwest Drive.
- 2020-04-27 - Dr. Lusk named Chairman of the Board
- 2020-03-26 - First Reliance Bank is offering $100,000 in affordable housing grants to eligible teachers and educators who work for Florence One Schools.
- 2019-07-01 - 20th Anniversary of the Bank
- 2019-06-12 - Best Places To Work In South Carolina 14 Consecutive Years!
- 2019-04-01 - Order of the Palmetto Awarded to CEO/President, Rick Saunders for contributions to the betterment of the state and SC communities.
- 2019-01-01 - Raised $22,000 in charitable contributions for the American Cancer Association and the McLeod Hope Foundation
- 2018-10-01 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces 10th consecutive year
- 2018-08-01 - Named a Best Places To Work for the 13th consecutive year and one of the only companies to have received it each year since the program began.
- 2018-04-01 - Expansion into Lake Norman, North Carolina Market with a Loan Production Office
- 2018-03-01 - Expansion into Myrtle Beach with a full service branch at a temporary location and future plans for a permanent location
- 2018-01-01 - First Reliance Bank Legal Close of merger of Independence National Bank, a community bank in Greenville SC
- 2017-10-01 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces 9th consecutive year
- 2017-09-01 - First Reliance Announce Acquisition of Independence National Bank, a community bank headquartered in Greenville
- 2017-09-01 - Expansion into the Lexington/Winston-Salem North Carolina Market with a Loan Production Office
- 2017-08-01 - 18th Anniversary celebrated throughout First Reliance's markets and on social media with special recognition for Hometown Heroes.
- 2017-06-01 - Summerville expansion into a full service Branch
- 2017-06-01 - Named a Best Places to Work for the 12th consecutive year and one of the only companies to have received it each year since the program began.
- 2017-05-01 - Awarded 5-Star Superior rating for being one of the strongest financial institutions in the nation by BauerFinancial
- 2017-05-01 - Customer Satisfaction Rating of 95% from our customers
- 2017-04-01 - Expansion into Summerville with a Loan Production Office
- 2017-04-01 - First Reliance donates over $21,000 of money raised through fundraisers to McLeod Hospital for cancer patients and to the American Cancer Society.
- 2016-10-01 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces 8th consecutive year.
- 2016-10-01 - Opened a full service branch in Loris to service the Loris/Conway/Tabor City and N. Myrtle Beach, S.C. markets
- 2016-08-01 - 17th Anniversary celebrated throughout First Reliance's markets and on social media
- 2016-07-01 - First Reliance holds Law Enforcement Appreciation Events for their support of our communities and businesses.
- 2016-07-01 - Expansion into the Loris/Conway/N.Myrtle Beach market with a Loan Office in Loris, S.C.
- 2016-06-01 - Mobile Deposit and consumer Loan Payment Portal introduced as part of the Reliance-On-The-Go Convenient services
- 2016-06-01 - First Reliance Bank receives a Banky Award from the Institute of Extraordinary Banking
- 2016-06-01 - Named a Best Places to Work for the 11th consecutive year
- 2016-04-01 - First Reliance donates over $23,000 of money raised through fundraisers to the American Cancer Society.
- 2016-02-01 - Rick Saunders, CEO, receives FDTC ENTREPRENEUR Award for Leadership and Business Contribution to Our Communities
- 2015-11-01 - Paul Saunders, EVP, Relationship Banker receives He Behind The She, She Magazine Award for his support of women-owned small business
- 2015-10-01 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces 7th consecutive year.
- 2015-08-01 - First Reliance celebrates 16th Anniversary throughout its three markets and on social media with contests!
- 2015-06-01 - Named Best Places to Work for the 10th consecutive year.
- 2015-06-01 - Voted as the #1 Bank in the Pee Dee in the Florence Morning News Business competition.
- 2015-02-01 - Mortgage Business Line expanded to serve the growing Charleston and Columbia/Lexington markets.
- 2014-10-01 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces 6th year running
- 2014-08-01 - Named Best Places to Work for a 9th consecutive year.
- 2014-08-01 - First Reliance Bank celebrates 15th Anniversary with celebrations in each of its three markets and a social media contest!
- 2014-07-01 - Mobile Banking iPad application launched.
- 2014-05-01 - First Reliance raises $20,000 donation for the American Cancer Society.
- 2014-04-01 - Mobile, Web, and Text Banking launched as an addition to Reliance On-The-Go convenient services.
- 2014-04-01 - Indirect Finance added as a new line of business that allows us to reach a broader range of car loan borrowers in our footprint.
- 2013-08-01 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation for Adopton's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces 5th consecutive year!
- 2013-08-01 - First Reliance Bank celebrates 14th Anniversary!
- 2013-07-01 - First Reliance voted as one of the top three Banks in Florence by the Morning News, Best of the Pee Dee 2013
- 2013-07-01 - First Reliance is American Cancer Society's second top fundraiser in Florence with $13,000 donated.
- 2013-06-01 - Introduction of new business and consumer credit cards which include cash rebates or reward points
- 2013-03-01 - Online Banking updated to include customizable browser and budget and financial tools
- 2012-12-01 - First Reliance reaches 1,000 Facebook Fans milestone
- 2012-09-01 - Named to Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption's Top 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces 4th year running
- 2012-09-01 - First Reliance Bank donates property to Circle Park for community redevelopment improvement
- 2012-09-01 - Named Best Places to Work in SC 7th consecutive year
- 2012-08-01 - First Reliance Bank raises $10,400 as a donation to the American Cancer Society
- 2012-07-01 - Launch of a new branded website including social media integration, customer interactivity, and a blog
- 2012-01-01 - Introduction of CardCash® 1% Cash Rebate on our Debit Cards
- 2011-11-01 - Launch of four additional customer programs: Moms First, iMatter BetterPerks and BetterLife
- 2011-08-01 - Named Best Places to Work in SC 6th year running
- 2010-02-01 - FRB Launches new brand “Better” to support its purpose: To Make the Lives of Our Customers Better
- 2010-02-01 - Lender & Broker of the Year award
- 2010-01-01 - FRB launches FMU Scholarship Program
- 2009-11-01 - FRB gains top market share in Florence within 10 years
- 2009-08-01 - First Reliance Celebrates 10 years of Community Banking
- 2009-08-01 - First Reliance Bank Awarded Best Places to Work 4th Year Running
- 2009-07-01 - First Reliance Bank named in Moultrie News Best of the Best
- 2009-07-01 - First Reliance’s Hometown Heroes program raises money for supporting charities
- 2009-06-01 - First Reliance Bank announces new Sunset Branch Grand Opening
- 2009-06-01 - First Reliance launches Check ‘N Save community outreach program
- 2009-01-01 - First Reliance Bank Named Lender of the Year
- 2009-01-01 - First Reliance associates grant wishes for local Make-A-Wish children
- 2009-01-01 - Rick Saunders named to Florence Chamber’s Board
- 2008-12-01 - FRB donation helps elementary school give students free violins
- 2008-09-01 - FRB introduces Hometown Heroes Program
- 2008-08-01 - FRB Named one of the 15 best places to work in SC for the 3rd consecutive year
- 2008-08-01 - 9th Anniversary of First Reliance Bank
- 2008-07-01 - First Reliance Bank chooses Hilliard Lyons for customer investment services
- 2007-12-01 - First Reliance Announces New Holiday Banking Hours
- 2007-11-01 - First Reliance Celebrates National Adoption Awareness month
- 2007-10-01 - First Reliance celebrates Grand Opening of Mt. Pleasant Branch
- 2007-10-01 - First Reliance Celebrates Grand Opening of Lexington Regional Headquarters
- 2007-09-01 - Rick Saunders, President and CEO, named Business Person of the Year and Florence Chamber Champ
- 2007-09-01 - First Reliance Introduces Same Day Banking until 8 pm
- 2007-08-01 - 8th Anniversary of First Reliance Bank
- 2007-08-01 - First Reliance Named Top 20 Best Places to Work in SC
- 2007-07-01 - FRB introduces Not for Profit checking account
- 2007-06-01 - Rick Saunders, President and CEO, named Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2007-06-01 - First Reliance Added to the Palmetto 25
- 2007-04-01 - Distinctive Customer Programs: Reagan’s Promise, Adoption Awareness Program
- 2007-04-01 - Florence branches extend hours to 8-8 Mon – Sat
- 2007-04-01 - Opened First Reliance Learning Center
- 2007-03-01 - Florence Market achieves #1 Market Share for Mortgage Recordings for First Quarter of 2007
- 2007-01-01 - Introduced FRB’s Signature Financial Literacy Program
- 2006-11-01 - Florence Board of Advisors Established
- 2006-11-01 - Recognized as one of the fastest growing companies in South Carolina for 2006
- 2006-08-01 - Awarded the Essential Piece Award
- 2006-08-01 - 7th Anniversary of First Reliance Bank
- 2006-07-01 - Named Top 15 Best Places to Work in SC
- 2006-05-01 - Rick Saunders, CEO and President named to the State Board of Financial Institutions
- 2006-03-01 - Introduced NO FEE ATM initiative Nationwide
- 2006-03-01 - Broke ground on a $4 million regional office in Lexington
- 2006-02-01 - Formed partnership with Delmae Elementary School
- 2005-09-01 - Recognized as one of the Top 25 Fastest Growing Companies in South Carolina for 2005
- 2005-08-01 - Opened the Mt. Pleasant office in mobile unit
- 2005-03-01 - Opened Charleston Regional Office
- 2005-01-01 - Awarded “Small lender of the Year” for 2004
- 2004-11-01 - Recognized as one of the Top 25 Fastest-Growing Companies in South Carolina for 2004
- 2004-08-01 - 5th Anniversary of First Reliance Bank
- 2004-07-01 - Customer care center established and branded as ACCESSLive
- 2004-06-01 - Ribbon Cutting ceremony held for the opening of the Lexington branch in mobile unit
- 2004-05-01 - Recognized by the S.C. Psychological Association with one of only four “Psychologically Healthy Workplace Awards” presented to businesses statewide
- 2004-04-01 - Received regulatory approval to begin trading its stock on the OTCBB (Over-The-Counter Bulletin Board) under the trading symbol FSRL
- 2003-12-01 - Received regulatory approval to open expansion branch in Lexington, S.C.
- 2003-09-01 - Completed installation of an “in-house” bank core-processing system
- 2003-08-01 - Released completely revised and enhanced corporate Internet website (making the First Reliance Bank website one of the most advanced websites in the S.C. banking market)
- 2003-05-01 - Completed construction of a new multimillion-dollar Technology Center (bringing First Reliance Bank’s capital investment in the Florence community to over $8 million)
- 2003-02-01 - Successfully raised over $8 million in capital during First Reliance Bank’s Secondary Stock Offering
- 2002-11-01 - Recognized as one of the Top 25 Fastest-Growing Companies in South Carolina for 2002
- 2002-11-01 - Initiated expansion plans by purchasing and starting renovation activities of Technology Center in Florence
- 2002-10-01 - Released the First Reliance Bank corporate intranet, an important tool used internally by First Reliance Bank employees
- 2002-06-01 - Voted “Friendliest Bank” in the Best of the Pee Dee Awards sponsored by the Morning News
- 2002-06-01 - Ranked 4th in total Market Share (after only 3 years) among the 25 banks in Florence County
- 2002-04-01 - Formed separate Holding Company, First Reliance BancShares. 2170 West Palmetto St., Florence, SC 29501 P: 843.656.5000 g www.firstreliance.com
- 2002-03-01 - Granted shareholders a 2 for 1 Stock Split
- 2001-06-01 - Opened a 2nd Florence branch office in June 2001
- 2001-02-01 - Recovered “pre-opening” cost within the first 18 months of operation.
- 2001-01-01 - Started First Reliance Financial Services, a full service investment and insurance division
- 2000-12-01 - First Reliance Bank grows to surpass $50 million in assets
- 2000-07-01 - Grand Opening of Main Branch office
- 2000-05-01 - Established a full service Credit Administration & Review Division
- 2000-02-01 - Earned first profit after only 5 months of operations
- 1999-10-01 - Released the First Reliance Bank corporate Internet website
- 1999-09-01 - Established a full service Mortgage Division.
- 1999-08-01 - Vision: To Be the Largest and Most Profitable Bank in SC
- 1999-08-01 - Opened 235 accounts first 2 days of business
- 1999-08-01 - Opened for business in a mobile branch site located adjacent to the Main Branch office construction site
- 1999-08-01 - Achieved initial capitalization of $7.2 million with 950 shareholders in only 60 days (making it the most successful de novo bank ever chartered in Florence County)
- 1999-02-01 - Applied for FDIC insurance