Selling Your Car
In most cases, you can sell your car on your own for more than you will receive by trading it in. However, prepping your vehicle for sale will take time and depending on its condition may also cost you some money. Assess the car's condition, and then decide how much you want to spend on minor repairs, always remembering the liability involved with a private-party sale.
These steps will help you get the maximum sale price for your vehicle:
- Make sure it is washed, waxed and detailed.
- Make sure it is mechanically sound and free from dents, dings and scrapes.
- Make all repairs yourself rather than selling it "as is".
- Have your mechanic check out your car and issue a report about its condition.
- Remove all of your personal items from inside the car, trunk and glove compartment. For safety reasons, don’t leave any documents that have ...